If you’ve ever had a Starbucks grilled cheese sandwich, you know it’s something special.
Between the golden bread, gooey filling, and Parmesan-butter spread, it’s pretty much the perfect meal.
And now, you can make it at home for a fraction of the cost!
Copycat Starbucks Grilled Cheese Recipe
This super simple yet super tasty sandwich has a few key ingredients that make it extra scrumptious.
First, you’ll use a mixture of butter and Parmesan cheese to coat the bread. So it gets insanely golden with a stunning kick of salty cheese.
And that means fresh Parmesan. You’ll need to grate it from a block rather than use that stinky stuff in the green container.
Then there’s the bread - you need thick slices of sourdough here! No sad pre-sliced white bread, thank you!
(If you want to make your own sourdough bread, check out my easy sourdough starter recipe.)
Finally, there’s the cheese! A lot of recipes call for pre-sliced cheese, but I just don’t think they have the same flavor. And they don’t melt nearly as well as freshly grated.
So, get a block of really good, white mature cheddar. Then a chunk of fresh mozzarella. Grate the cheddar and slice the mozzarella yourself, and you won’t believe how gooey it gets!
- Butter - it should be pretty soft so you can mix it with the cheese and spread it easily
- Parmesan - grab a block and grate it yourself
- Mature White Cheddar - it’s flavorful and melts well. But feel free to use Gruyère or Gouda if you like
- Mozzarella - this is what makes this grilled cheese oh-so-gooey. Get a chunk and slice it fresh for best results
- Sourdough - you want a whole loaf so you can slice it yourself. I like it pretty thick to hold the filling
How to Make Starbucks Grilled Cheese
This recipe is crazy-easy to make. You just need a bread knife, a skillet, and a bit of patience.
- Cut the sourdough loaf into 4 thick slices - about 2.5 cm / 1 inch each
- Mix the soft butter with freshly grated Parmesan until it’s well blended
- Spread the butter over one side of each slice of bread
- Put a skillet over medium heat and add two slices of bread, butter side down
- Divide the mozzarella slices and place them over the bread in the skillet
- Top the mozzarella with shredded cheddar and put the two remaining slices of bread on top, butter side up
- Cook until the bread is golden and toasted, then carefully flip the sandwiches
- Press down gently, and cook until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted
- Slice, serve, and enjoy
This recipe is enough for 2 sandwiches. And they’re fantastic as is, but I like them with this spicy aioli on the side.
Other fun variations include:
- Add caramelized onions
- Add thick-cut, smoky ham
- Add tomato slices
- Mix some pesto into the butter
- Use another type of bread, such as whole wheat, cheesy, onion loaf, or brioche
- Mince fresh rosemary and mix with a bit of butter or mayo, then spread it inside the sandwich to keep it from burning
- Mix roasted garlic into the butter with the Parmesan
Copycat Starbucks Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of Soft Butter
- 3 tablespoons of Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 100 grams of Freshly Grated Mature White Cheddar (3-4 slices)
- 100 grams of Sliced Fresh Mozzarella (3-4 slices)
- 4 thick slices of Sourdough
- Mix the soft butter with the freshly grated Parmesan cheese in a small bowl until well blended.
- Spread the butter mixture evenly over 1 side of the 4 slices of sourdough.
- Warm a skillet to low-medium heat, then add 2 slices of bread, butter side down.
- Divide the freshly grated cheddar and the mozzarella slices over the 2 slices of bread in the skillet.
- Top with the 2 remaining slices of sourdough, butter side up.
- Heat until the bottom slice is golden and the cheese starts the melt (about 1-2 minutes).
- Carefully flip the sandwiches over and heat again until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted (about 1-2 minutes).
- Optional: cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet, slice them in half, and enjoy.