Try this vibrant and insanely delicious rhubarb margarita the next time you want something sweet, tart, and boozy.
Made with ruby red rhubarb syrup, Blanco tequila, and plenty of citrus, this rhubarb margarita is THE drink of the summer.
Rhubarb Simple Syrup Recipe
You’ll need to use rhubarb simple syrup to get the best possible flavor. Not only will it provide a punch of sweet-tart flavor, but the color is sensational!
- 360 grams of fresh or frozen Rhubarb (about 3 cups)
- 175 ml of Water (3/4 cups)
- 300 grams of Sugar (1 1/2 cups)
- 60 ml of Lime Juice (1/4 cup)
- Add the water and chopped rhubarb to a saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the rhubarb into a heat-proof container. Use cheesecloth if you want to ensure no bits of fruit come through.
- Gently press the fruit to get out all the liquid.
- Measure the amount of liquid you have, then add more water until you have 700 ml (about 3 cups).
- Add the liquid back into the pot with the sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pot from the heat and strain once more.
- Add the lime juice, stir, then leave to cool for 5-10 minutes. Pour the rhubarb syrup into a glass container and store it in the fridge for up to one month.
If you want something a little sweeter, use half the amount of rhubarb and add an equal amount of strawberries to the mix.
How To Make A Rhubarb Margarita
This recipe is enough for 4 drinks.
Chill the glasses in the fridge for 30 minutes, and don’t forget to rim the glasses with salt or a blend of sugar and lime zest!
To make lime sugar, simply zest two limes into 200 grams of sugar and mix until combined. Then, run a lime wedge around the rim of your glasses and dip them in the sugar mixture.
- 235 ml of Rhubarb Simple Syrup (1 cup)
- 6 ounces of Tequila Blanco (3/4 cups)
- 1/2 ounce of Cointreau (1 tablespoon)
- 2 1/2 ounces of fresh Lime Juice (1/3 cup)
- 2 ounces of fresh Orange Juice (1/4 cup)
- Club Soda or Citrus Soda to taste
- Lime wedge for garnish
- Chill and rim the glasses with lime sugar. Keep them in the fridge while you make the drinks.
- Add the rhubarb syrup, tequila, Cointreau, and citrus juices to a pitcher with ice.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add ice to the chilled glasses and dived the margarita mixture between them.
- Top up with soda to taste, and gently stir to blend.
- Serve with a lime wedge, and enjoy!