The best pumpkin brownies are chocolatey, pumpkin-y, lightly spiced, and oh-so-fudgy. These babies are so good, you’ll never make plain brownies again!
And even though you’ll need to make two different batters, it’s more than worth it in the end.
The Best Pumpkin Brownies
I’ve had a lot of pumpkin brownies, and they almost always feature fudgy brownies with pumpkin cheesecake swirled through.
Super simple. Super tasty. Super fun.
But I wanted something different. I wanted fudgy chocolate brownies and fudgy pumpkin brownies!
So think of this like a brownie and a pumpkin blondie in one bite. They’ve got plenty of gooey chocolate and so much incredible flavor.
You’ll make two batters - one brownie and one pumpkin - then layer or swirl them together and bake.
It takes extra time, but it’s nothing you can’t handle.
How to Make Pumpkin Brownies
This recipe is enough for one 8x8-inch baking dish. Double the recipe for a 9x13-inch dish.
Chocolate Brownie Ingredients:
- 65 grams of All Purpose Flour (1/2 cup)
- 75 grams of White Sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 12 grams of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (2 tablespoons)
- 3/8 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 25 ml of Vegetable Oil (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Paste
- 115 grams of Pumpkin Puree (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 45 grams of Chopped Chocolate (1/4 cup)
Pumpkin Brownie Ingredients:
- 140 grams of Brown Sugar (1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- 45 grams of Butter (3 tablespoons)
- 35 grams of Pumpkin Puree (3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Paste
- 105 grams of All-Purpose Flour (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 30 grams of Chopped Chocolate
- 50 grams of Chopped Nuts (optional - 1/2 cup)
This brownie recipe features pumpkin and some spice. So you can just double this and pop it in an 8x8-inch pan. I like it topped with ganache and sea salt!
Otherwise, follow the steps below to create the pumpkin swirl!
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F and lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish. Line it with parchment and set it aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until everything is well distributed.
- Add the oil, vanilla, and pumpkin, then gently stir with a spatula until smooth.
- Add the chopped chocolate and stir a few more times, then set aside and make the pumpkin brownies.
Pumpkin Brownie Method:
- Melt the brown sugar in a small pot with the butter and pumpkin puree. Stir and cook until everything is smooth and well combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat and pour the mixture into a wide, shallow pan to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice until evenly distributed.
- When the butter mixture is cool, pour it into a separate bowl and add the yogurt and vanilla. Stir well to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and gently mix until just combined - do not overmix.
- Add the nuts with the flour mix, if using.
Pumpkin Brownie Assembly:
- Pour half of the pumpkin batter into the prepared cake tin. Spread it out to cover the bottom.
- Add about 3/4 of the brownie batter to the pan and spread it out over the pumpkin.
- Dollop the rest of the pumpkin and brownie batter with a spoon, then use a sharp knife to swirl them together.
- Top with 30 grams of chopped chocolate.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with just a few crumbs (if it’s wet with batter, it needs more time).
- Remove the brownies from the oven and leave them to cool completely in the pan.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!