I’ve been working on this for a little while, and I’m so excited to share it with you all finally.
My new eBook, Brilliant British Bakes, is out now on Amazon. You can head over and download it for just $2 right onto your phone or tablet.
I decided to put this book together because I know I like to have my favorites on hand rather than searching through bookmarks and pins. Convenience is worth a couple of dollars, in my opinion.
Having grown up in the UK and spending my childhood baking with my Nana, it made sense for my first cookbook to be full of her favorites.
She taught me how to get the perfect Fluffy Scone and how to make and decorate a Victoria Sponge. Not to mention her Sticky Toffee Pudding was the best in town!
So If you’re on the lookout for some super simple British recipes and a few tips and tricks to boot, I’ve got you covered.
This eBook contains seven really easy, classic British bakes that everyone should try at home. You won’t be sorry!
So, What’s Inside?
In this eBook, you’ll find seven classic British recipes:
- Fluffy Fruit Scones
- Victoria Sponge Cake
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Toffee Sauce
- Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- Bakewell Tarts
- Coffee & Walnut Cake and a creamy Coffee Mascarpone Frosting
I’ve included methods for each and some tips and tricks for how to make your scones fluffy. I’ve also written a page of information on how to make pastry - because I know it can be a pain!
Each recipe has a thorough instructions section to make this as easy as possible for you all.
How Can I View the eBook?
This is only available on Amazon right now, though I’m looking into publishing via Apple’s iBooks. For now, you will need to go to Amazon.com (or to your country) and search for “ Brilliant British Bakes”
You can purchase the Kindle version and it will deliver to your tablet or phone. One key thing to note is that if you’re using an Apple product (iPhone or iPad) you likely won’t be able to purchase the eBook from the Amazon app. Apple likes to make ti difficult so you’ll turn to iBooks instead.
Once you buy the eBook, you can view it on any of your devices that are connected to your Kindle account. Though I recommend a tablet for optimal viewing.
Are the Recipes for Kids?
Most of these are pretty simple recipes that will be perfect to make with your kids. It’s how I got started after-all!
I wouldn’t suggest making the Toffee Sauce for the Sticky Toffee Pudding with kids, though, since it involves boiling sugar. Once it’s ready, I’m sure they’ll be happy to eat it.
What About the Custard?
I mentioned that we Brits like to put custard on most of our puds (puddings = desserts) but I didn’t put in a recipe. Instead, I thought I would give that one away for free!
English custard is a lot like a pastry cream, only it’s a little thinner and we don’t let it go cold. Once it’s made, you want to use it right away, nice and hot! Of course, you can make it ahead and let it set, storing in the fridge until you need it. Just be sure to reheat thoroughly to use.
- 570ml Whole Milk
- 55ml Cream
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract or Paste
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 30g White Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- Add the milk, cream, vanilla, and half of the sugar to a saucepan and gently bring to a low simmer. You want a low heat for this and don’t let it boil.
- Whisk the other half of the sugar with the egg yolks and cornstarch until well blended and there are no lumps left.
- Carefully pour some of the hot milk mix into the egg mix, and whisk continuously. I like to use a ladle so I can control the flow. You need to whisk constantly to avoid scrambling the eggs with the hot liquid.
- Once half of the milk has been whisked into the egg mix, pour that now hot egg mix back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk.
- Whisk over a low heat until the custard has thickened.
- Pour your hot custard into a jug and serve immediately.
- If not using right away, pour into a heat-proof bowl and place a layer of cling film over the top, touching the surface to avoid a skin forming.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.