Want something bright, colorful, and perfect for the weekend? Try this insanely delicious Mai Thai recipe!
Mai Thai cocktails are citrusy and sweet with just the right amount of tart. It contains white and dark rum, Amaretto, lime juice, and orange juice. Some recipes call for Orange curaçao and Orgeat syrup, but it will taste just as good with Amaretto and orange juice.
Mai Thai Cocktail
Mai Thai’s are quite strong, as they use both white and dark rum. Rum is definitely the most forward flavor, and it’s defined by the dark rum float on top.
That means every sip you take will start with the dark rum, so if that’s not your thing, this might not be the drink for you.
And yes, the dark rum is supposed to float on top - no stirring, please!
Ingredients in a Mai Thai
Here’s what you’ll need to make a classic Mai Thai cocktail:
- White Rum - white rum makes this bright, light, and slightly sweet.
- Dark Rum - this will add a silky mouthfeel and rich finish.
- Amaretto - as mentioned, most Mai Thai recipes call for Orgeat syrup, which can be hard to find. Amaretto will provide the same almond taste.
- Lime Juice - the fresher, the better!
- Orange Juice - this will round everything off perfectly.
How To Make a Mai Thai
This recipe is enough for two drinks.
- 3 ounces of White Rum
- 1.5 ounces of Dark Rum
- 1 ounce of Amaretto
- 1 ounce of fresh Lime Juice
- 1 ounce of Orange Juice
- Add the white rum, Amaretto, lime juice, and orange juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice and seal shut.
- Shake for 20-30 seconds.
- Fill the glasses with ice.
- Strain the mix into the glasses.
- Float the dark rum on top and add a slice of orange or pineapple to the rim.
- Serve and enjoy!