Believe it or not, there is a way to make your favorite brownies even more addictive! Try this gingerbread brownie recipe and see for yourself!
It’s chocolatey, fudgy, and oh-so-festive. Seriously, the added spices take this tasty treat to a whole new level.
Oh, and the salted caramel is just the cherry on top!
The Best Gingerbread Brownies Recipe
Where some gingerbread brownies recipes simply add a few spices to chocolate brownie batter, this version is a little different.
You’ll make a quick gingerbread cookie dough and add it to the batter in beautiful chunks. That way, you get pops of pure gingerbread, unadulterated brownie, and a heavenly mix of both!
It takes a little more time, but it’s so worth it! Seriously, these things are the bomb!
And while the caramel is totally optional, I can’t recommend it enough. It brings a light sweetness contrasting the deep chocolate and strong spicey flavors.
Plus, when is caramel a bad idea?
You’ll find a yummy recipe for salted caramel in my Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe.
How to Make Gingerbread Brownies
This recipe is enough for an 8x8 inch pan.
Gingerbread Cookie Dough
- 115 grams of soft Butter (1/2 cup)
- 65 grams of Brown Sugar (1/3 cup)
- 70 grams of Molasses (1/4 cup)
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 165 grams of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon of Salt
- 115 grams of Butter
- 120 grams of Chocolate Chips (3/4 cup)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Egg White
- 100 grams of Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Oil
- 42 grams All-Purpose Flour (1/3 cup)
- 25 grams of Dutch Cocoa Powder (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F) and line an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray and parchment.
Gingerbread Cookie Dough
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy (2-4 minutes).
- Add the molasses and mix until almost combined.
- Add the egg yolk and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt, then add to the butter and egg mixture.
- Gently stir until combined and set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in 30-second intervals in the microwave. Stir until smooth and leave the cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, egg white, and brown sugar until combined.
- Stir the melted butter and chocolate into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add the oil, flour, cocoa powder, and salt, and stir gently until you no longer see flour streaks.
How to Assemble the Brownies
- Pour 1/2 of the brownie batter into the baking dish and spread to the edges with a spatula.
- Using your hands, roughly cover the brownie batter with crumbles and chunks of the gingerbread cookie dough (about half).
- Pour the rest of the brownie batter into the pan and try to spread it out to the edges.
- Cover the top with the rest of the cookie dough. It should look rough, and you should see the brownie batter peaking through.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs (for fudgy brownies, you should see a little wet batter).
- Leave the brownies to cool in the pan, then lift them onto a wire rack.
- Drizzle with caramel, slice, and enjoy!