Love it or hate it, you can’t get away from cottage cheese ice cream these days. But luckily, it’s totally worth the hype.
Seriously, give it a try. It’s a game-changer for anyone hoping to up their protein intake!
Viral TikTok Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Make fun all you want, but cottage cheese ice cream is a terrific dessert alternative for the guys and gals hoping to indulge without a million extra calories.
It’s rich and creamy with incredible flavor. Better yet, it’s loaded with protein!
And I have four variations below, so you’re bound to find something you enjoy.
The base for this recipe is the same, then you can change it up with different flavors and fillings.
- Cottage Cheese - use any kind of cottage cheese you prefer. Just keep in mind, full-fat will give you the best taste and texture
- Honey - for a bit of sweetness
- Vodka - to keep the ice cream from crystallizing
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate - add creamy peanut butter and chocolate chips
- Salted Caramel & Pretzel - add caramel or dulce de leche plus chopped pretzels
- Blueberry Cheesecake - add fresh berries and crushed Graham Crackers
- Half-Baked - mix in chopped brownie bites and cookie dough
How to Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
If you’re a snacker like me, I recommend making a double batch of the base and making a couple of flavors at once.
Here’s how to do it:
- Blend the cottage cheese until smooth and creamy
- Add the honey and vodka, then blend again for a few minutes
- Now add your choice of flavor and blend until smooth - peanut butter, strawberries, caramel, or banana and vanilla
- Stir in the extras - chocolate chips, pretzels, or Graham Crackers
- Freeze, serve, and enjoy
I already have 4 fun cottage cheese ice cream recipes below. But it doesn’t stop there!
There are a ton of incredible recipe variations, and I think you should try them all:
- Lemon Bar Ice Cream - swirl lemon curd and crushed shortbread cookies into the creamy cottage cheese
- Mocha Ice Cream - add espresso powder to the cottage cheese and blend until smooth. Then swirl in chocolate syrup
- Mint Choc Chip - add a few drops of peppermint extract to the cottage cheese. Then mix in mini chocolate chips
- Fruit & Nut - mix in any dried fruits and chopped nuts you like
- Tropical Fruit Ice Cream - add fresh mango slices to the cottage cheese and puree until smooth. Mix in pineapple chunks and top with toasted coconut
- Ice Cream Sandwiches - use whatever flavor you like and sandwich a scoop between two cookies
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cottage cheese ice cream healthier than ice cream?
Most regular ice cream recipes and brands are pretty high in fat and calories and contain little to no nutritional value. But, of course, there are plenty of low-calorie options and some with added protein, for example.
Using a simple base of low-fat cottage cheese and honey or agave, cottage cheese ice cream is generally healthier than regular ice cream. That is until you add mix-ins.
If you add chocolate, sauces, and other sugary extras, the calorie content will increase.
Why is my cottage cheese ice cream so icy?
Cottage cheese contains a decent amount of water (especially the lower fat types) which will freeze and turn icy.
To keep your cottage cheese ice cream from becoming icy, freeze it for 30 minutes, then stir it with a spatula. Freeze it again for 30 minutes, stir it again, then repeat until it’s thick and creamy.
How long will this cottage cheese ice cream last?
If it’s properly covered, it should last about a month in the freezer. After that, it will start to harden.
Why do people love cottage cheese?
Cottage cheese is rich and creamy, though it’s very low in calories and high in protein.
And it’s a terrific ingredient to add to all kinds of yummy things, including cookies dough and baked oats.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream - 4 Fun Flavors!
- For the Base
- 425 grams of Cottage Cheese (15 ounces)
- 85 grams of Honey or Agave Nectar (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon of Vodka (optional, but it will keep ice crystals from forming)
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate
- 60 grams of Creamy Peanut Butter (1/4 cup)
- 40 grams of Chocolate Chips (1/4 cup)
- Salted Caramel and Pretzel
- 40-50 grams of Caramel or Dulce de Leche (3 tablespoons)
- 40 grams of Chopped Pretzels (1/4 cup)
- Blueberry Cheesecake
- 80 grams of Fresh Blueberries (1/2 cup or 5 ounces)
- 60 grams of Crushed Graham Crackers (1/4 cup)
- Half Baked
- 4-5 Brownies Bites
- 75 grams Edible Cookie Dough (1/4 cup)
- Pour the cottage cheese into a blender or food processor.
- Add the honey and vodka, and blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- At this point, add the peanut butter, blueberries, or caramel, and blend until smooth.
- Stir the chocolate chips, Graham Crackers, pretzels, or chopped brownie bites and cookie dough chunks into the mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour the cottage cheese mixture into a freezer-safe container, scraping the excess with a spatula.
- Cover and freeze for 30 minutes. Then, gently fold/stir the mixture with a spatula and freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Repeat this until the ice cream is thick and creamy.
- Set on the counter for 10-15 minutes, scoop, and enjoy!