Can you feel the chill in the air? You know what that means, right? It’s pumpkin season, and you know the first thing I’m making is this incredibly moist pumpkin loaf.
Pumpkin bread is a light, sweet, and warmly spiced quickbread typically made in a loaf pan. Made using real pumpkin puree along with spices, such as cinnamon, clove, and ginger, it should be firm yet tender. Mix everything gently and bake for an hour until golden and fragrant.
If you’re looking for the best ever pumpkin loaf, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s get started!
How Do You Make Pumpkin Bread?
Pumpkin bread is made using pumpkin puree, flour, sugar, eggs, oil, and a selection of warm spices. It can be filled with cheesecake batter, topped with brown sugar crumble, or loaded with chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
Like most loaf recipes, this is best when you use oil. It’s a surefire way to guarantee this stays nice and soft.
Having said that, the pumpkin puree will provide a ton of moisture, so you could use butter if you prefer. Just melt the butter first and leave it to cool as you weigh everything else so it’s not too hot.
Do You Need a Mixer To Make Pumpkin Bread?
You don’t need a mixer to make pumpkin bread. In fact, it’s best made by hand because stand mixers are often too strong. If you overmix quickbread batter, it becomes dry and tight-crumbed. Instead, stir everything by hand until it’s just incorporated to keep it light and moist.
How To Make This Pumpkin Bread Extra Delicious
The recipe for this pumpkin bread is pretty easy to follow and the cake itself is so yummy. It’s super moist and doesn’t need anything added to it.
But…it can’t hurt to add something extra right?
Below, you’ll find ingredients and methods for both a cheesecake filling and brown sugar crumble topping.
Use one or both, or maybe just toss in some dark chocolate chips! Ooh, or maybe peanut butter chips!
There are so many ways to make this pumpkin loaf pop, it’s just a matter of how preference.
I think it works with caramel frosting on top, but others might like cinnamon glaze instead.
How To Make the Best Pumpkin Loaf
This recipe is for two 8x4 inch loaves (because who wants just one?!)
Pumpkin Loaf Ingredients:
- 420 grams All Purpose/Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Gingerbread/Pumpkin Spice (or 1/2 teaspoons each Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg)
- 400 grams White Sugar
- 98 grams Brown Sugar
- 220 grams Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Paste
- 4 Eggs
- 158 grams Water
- 425 grams Pumpkin Purée
- Preheat your oven to 340°F/170°C.
- Spray your loaf pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and gingerbread/pumpkin spice mix.
- Whisk the white and brown sugar into the dry mix.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the oil with the eggs until smooth.
- Stir the pumpkin, water, and vanilla into the wet.
- Gently stir the wet mix into the dry, using a spatula or wooden spoon until it is just combined.
- Divide the batter between the two pre-prepared baking tins.*
- Top with crumble (if using) and bake for 1 hour, or until a sharp knife comes away clean when inserted into the middle.
- Leave to cool in the loaf pan for 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn the pan over and gently pull the loaf free.
- Leave to cool completely.
*If making cream cheese filling:
- Fill the loaf pans 3/4 full with pumpkin loaf batter.
- Divide the cheesecake filling in two and gently spread the cream cheese over the top (this is easiest with a piping bag).
- Top this with the rest of the loaf batter and then the crumb (if using).
Pumpkin Loaf Crumble Top Ingredients:
- 115 grams Butter
- 100 grams Brown Sugar
- 350 grams All purpose/Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon Gingerbread/Pumpkin Spice or Cinnamon
Pumpkin Loaf Crumble Top Method:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the brown sugar with the flour and spices until evenly distributed.
- With a pastry cutter, or using your fingers, rub the butter into the dry mix until it looks like bread crumbs (it should hold together if you squeeze it in your hand).
- Evenly divide this over the loaves.
Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:
- 2 Eggs
- 225 grams Cream Cheese
- 100 grams White Sugar
- 50 grams Flour
Cheesecake Filling Method:
- Whisk the cream cheese until smooth.
- Whisk the sugar and flour into the cream cheese until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs into the bowl until fully incorporated.